Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Shopping Finds for the Hipster Chicken Keeper


 
Recently the online media has focused attention on hipster chicken keepers.  Whether blaming the plight of homeless chickens on the backyard chicken keeping trend, or NPR's defending the chicken keepers and blaming community rooster regulations -- being an urban or suburban chicken keeper has now come with a label.  Since I am a suburban chicken keeper, I have now also become a trendy hipster.  (Well, I do like shopping at vintage stores, and have a thing for mason jars.)  I figure instead of refuting or defending the label -- I decided to acknowledge it exists.  In my case, I can see how it may even be a wee bit warranted in that I love the new chicken accessories popping up.  Just like most of my interests, there's shopping to be done.   Here are a few of my favorite finds.
 

Ceramic Egg Cartons $12 from Anthropologie.  They stack, come in cute colors, and can be safely cleaned and reused.  Want!
  
William Sonomas's Egg Run Holder will keep your fresh eggs arranged by age.  Brilliant!  $29.95
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


Nothing says, I'm a modern hipster chicken keeper like the Egg Hanging Planter from Urban Outfitters.  With its retro feel, you can call your friends over for a Mad Men party and serve up some deviled eggs with this beauty hanging in the background.  (As you all probably know, it's those wicked chickens who lay deviled eggs.)  $34.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Chicken keeping can also be an excuse to buy shoes.  Although my closest feedstore has some practical rubber boots, you should see the selection at Nordstroms.  I resisted showing you the studded Valentinos which even I couldn't imagine wearing to the coop.  Instead, here's a flowered pair that are just calling to be worn while pushing the tractor coop to another section of the yard.  For $69.95 you can purchase the 'Margo' boot.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
For those real splurges for $3,300 at Sundance Catalog, you can purchase this 30" x 30" painting "Morning View" by artist and sustainable living author Katherine Dunn.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment