Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Our baby chicks arrived safe and sound (video)

Lady Edith and Lady Mary on their first day home. 
I'm so excited to be the adoptive mom to these four little chicks!  Let me introduce you.
We have Lady Edith (the Buff Orpington), Lady Mary (the Black Australorp), and Daisy (the Delaware).  For those who are PBS fans, you can probably tell that I picked out their names when I was watching Downton Abbey.  Then, we added one more chick to the order, and my husband named her Jessie (the Silver-Laced Wyandotte).

They were hatched yesterday, and this is their first day in their new home.  They are so excited about it!  Today they took their first drink of water, ate crumbles, scratched the ground, and pecked just about everything.  However, one of the chicks didn't tolerate the toe pecking and gave a few head pecks back at her sister.  (The sibling rivalry begins!)

Our earlier pictures were all red - the color of their heat-lamp bulb.  But, I turned the lamp off for just a minute to get a short video and a few pictures. 


No comments:

Post a Comment