Monday, June 24, 2013

Two weeks and the chicks are so cute! (Video)

I was told that chicks were only cute for two weeks and then watch out!  But, I must have already bonded, because although my girls have passed the two-week mark, I think they are cuter than ever.  They are part down and part feather, and sweeter than I could imagine.  This week the girls decided that I was fun to perch on top of.  My arms and legs became roosting bars.  And if a strong wind gust or dog bark happened, they quickly ran under my sitting legs.  I think that officially makes me the Mama hen.

The girls have been practicing their flight skills with their new wing feathers.  Three of the four (Mary, Edith, and Daisy) will fly out of the brooder box when I remove the lid.  Jessie still waits for me to take her out.  It could be an excuse, though.  She prefers to be held and cuddled.  Mary gets these short bursts of energy where she sprints and flies hitting anything in her path.  They definitely have unique personalities.

I read that you can start giving chicken treats at this age.  We splurged on some dried worms.  (Yuck!)  I thought the girls would love it.  But, as you can see from the video, they were more interested in perching and catching some rays.  Free range time is its own treat.  Click here to see the video of the chicks with their first treats!

6 comments:

  1. This is just the cutest video!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I love how they like to have your attention

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a happy surprise. I really thought they'd be more interested in the treats. But, they are affectionate and want attention. I love these little birds and miss them when I'm away.

    ReplyDelete